About the Book:
The Vitthala temple is one of the biggest and best examples
of true typical Vijayanagara style of 15th century A.D., situated on the southern
bank of Tungabhadra River in the Vitthalapura at Hampi, Hospet taluk, Bellary
district in Northern Karnataka. Hampi is now a small village, once played an
important role as the capital of Vijayanagara Empire, who ruled from 1336 to
1565 A.D., and shifted their capital from Hampi to Chandragiri and Penugunda
in Andhra Pradesh, after the battle of Rakkasigi-Tangadigi at Talikota in1565
The whole Vitthala temple complex on plan consists of a garbhagriha,
antarala, pradkashinapatha around garbhagriha and antarala, sabhamantapa or
navaranga with mukhamantapa, towards north and south, mahasabhamantapa or maharangamantapa
with entrances on three sides, towards east, north and south, kalyanamandapa,
uyalamandapa, bhoamandapa, nuru kambadamantapa, Amman shrine, parivara shrines,
vahana shrine in the form of a stone chariot and enclosed by a high walled prakara
with three gateways on the east, north and south and gopuras. The gateways are
intact and upper portion of gopuras are in ruined condition. The Vitthala temple
was in full swing, active and the image of Vitthala was worshipped till 1565
A.D., when Vijayanagara was taken and sacked after the battle of Rakkasigi-Tangadigi
The Chapter I and II deal with Introduction and Historical
Perspective Vijayanagara dynasty. The Chapter III and IV deals with Religious
Background and Characteristic Features of Vijayanagara Temples. The Chapter
V and VI deals with Builders of the Temple and Architectural Description of
the Temple Complex. The Chapter VII and VIII deals with Salient Features of
the Temple Sculptures and Iconography and Temple served as Socio-Religious Institution.
The Chapter IX deals with contemporary and similar type of Vitthala temple at
Mulabagilu in Kolar district and the Chapter IX is a Conclusion with sum up
of all the chapters.
About the Author:
Dr. K.M. Suresh former Registrar and Retired
Professor & Director (Museum) in the Kannada University, Hampi in Karnataka,
obtained his M.A., from Karnataka University, Dharwad in 1974 and P.G. Diploma
in Archaeology from Institute of Archaeology, Archaeological Survey of India,
New Delhi in 1986. He obtained Ph.D. from Utkala University, Bhubaneswar, Orissa
in 1992 on “Sculptural Art of Hampi”, under the guidance of Late
Prof. K.S. Behera, Department of History.
Since his inception in the Archaeological Survey of India from
1976 to 1996, he served in various capacities in the Archaeological Museums
at Bijapur, Hampi, Aihole and Badami in Karnataka and Khajuraho in Madhya Pradesh.
He has been active field worker and excavator in the Excavations Branch IV of
Archaeological Survey of India, Bhubaneswar in Orissa.
He is member of many academic societies and guide to Ph.D.,
and M.Phil, scholars in the Kannada University, Hampi and examiner for other
Universities. He is UGC Expert Committee Member for Museology and Conservation
and Archaeology and also Expert Committee Member for History and Archaeology.